Wednesday, June 6, 2012

[Project:ThreeSixFive] Day [CLIV - CLVIII].

I'm having to learn how to use Roman numerals again.  I knew them in primary school because one of our teachers gave us various nicknames and ways of answering the register.  I was VII.  I don't know the numerals that well because there weren't a whole lot of us.  It didn't reach thirty, if I remember correctly.

But that's enough of that.

I've been absent once again from this photo-a-day thing.  I do have a bit of a better excuse for today, however.  And the past few days.




As you may well be aware, the Olympics are being hosted in London this year.  Huzzah.  If you are not aware, then consider yourself now aware.

The logo for the Olympics has been one of those love it/hate it conversation points since it was first unveiled in 2008.  I don't think it's all that great, really.  I think it's a bit clunky and a not all that pleasing to the eye.  I also think that it cost far too much.  Apparently, the cost of this logo was around the $400,000 mark.  Four hundred thousand pounds.



This, on the other hand, is the logo for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  If you're not aware of this, then I guess it's a bit more acceptable than not being aware of the Olympics, but it's still a pretty big deal.

For the second time in England's history, the Queen has been on the throne for 60 years.  Since coming to the throne in 1952, there have been 11 presidents.  The Queen met 10 of these, but she also met one before she was Queen and a former president while she was on the throne.

For this huge occasion, what fantastic logo should be selected but this one above.  Stellar.

As I suspected, it was a Blue Peter competition (Blue Peter is a kids' TV show that's been going here for 54 years), but what surprised me was that the artist was 10.  I guessed 7.

Now I realise that the Olympics probably won't be back in England in our lifetimes, but to have a Monarch on the throne for 60 years isn't going to happen any time soon either.  Why we spent $400,000 on one logo and opened the other up to a kids' competition I'll never know.  The occasions are arguably as important as each other  - I'd say the Jubilee is more important - so why not proudly display a scrawlings of a primary schooler for the world to see at the Olympics?  It would have saved us a bit of money.



Finally, we have Euro 2012.  It's like the World Cup but only for Europe.  Thrilling.  For the American reader, picture the World Series being played ever 4 years and with actual teams from across the world being involved.  Hard to do, right?  So then if you have an All-American series every 4 years, off-set so that you can watch a big championship every two years, then you get an idea, albeit watered down, badly thought through and not really that similar.

England are in the competition again.  We normally are.  We get really patriotic and a little bit violent until we're out of the competition.  Than we just take all that patriotism that could have been and a select few turn that into even more anger and violence.

I love my country, really.

We play some good football until either the second half of the game or the second half of the compet



But the most important reason I haven't been on here for the past few days is that my wifey and I have been celebrating our second anniversary!

It's been an incredible two years and I can't believe how blessed we are.  Well, I can, because I know that God is good and He takes care of His kids.  But also, I can't, because we're just so blessed it's silly.

If 'blessed' is not a word that you're familiar with, it just means fortunate, but - essentially - God-given fortune.

We've been fortunate enough to have had the chance to go to Amsterdam, Germany, Iceland and America - including living in Arkansas and visiting Missouri, Georgia, Ohio and New York - traveling through Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and a couple of other States.

We've also been fortunate enough to have had the chance to live in the UK and America.  And to also have seen wonderful things - the hills and views of Arkansas and Germany, the canals and buildings of Amsterdam, the roads and countryside of America, Niagara Falls and the births and engagements of almost twenty of our friends and family.

Visas have plagued our marriage, as one sadly expects in this age of (seemingly) 'only those who stay illegally can stay', but we know that God is good and we know that He provides us with everything we need.

We have the money for my wifey's visa to the penny - a gift that we received from a person at church in America.  We also have a nice, big bag of winter clothes for my wifey - made possible for us to bring home by someone else at church paying for that bag!  And now that we're looking for a house in Preston, while we get jobs sorted in order to save money for a house in Preston, we have some more friends from church who have offered us three rooms to stay in while we save up enough for a deposit! God is amazing.  When Christians live like Christians should live, it glorifies God and shows His love to everyone around.

This past two years has been amazing.  Words cannot describe how much I love my wifey and how stoked I am for spending the rest of our lives together.  There are only 26 characters in the Roman alphabet.  Not near enough to use with the effect I'd want.





Here's another photo for today, actually.  My mum has an Etsy page!

My wifey and I were getting her sorted and ready to sell.  I was in charge of creating the banner for my mum's page and this is the photo I took the strip from.  Lovely stuff.

In other news, my mum taught me how to crochet, so there's a thing.

I've made two small squares and a tiny scarf.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment