Thursday, September 6, 2018

Toy Design continued.

I've made a little more progress with the sculpt.  I've added some basic shoe shapes and filled in a few holes on the legs.

My plan moving forward is to cover the rest of the torso (I filled up the back after taking these pictures) to make a more solid base to then block in the head and the arms.  I think blocking in the arms will be tricky, since they will be a little flimsy by this point, with the torso and legs being solid Milliput.

Regarding Milliput; I kept my sculpting tools covered with a little bit of Vaseline and oh, man!  It helped so much!  I got some really nice smooth lines across the surfaces that I was able to reach, and I was able to smooth out some extra filler for the holes in the legs really easily.  I love Milliput now.

The pictures:

The feet weren't covered last time, when I blocked in the legs.  This meant the armature was flopping all over the place.  The blocks for the feet remedied that and kept the thing steady from the first shoe I made.  I tried my best to keep the shoes the same size and shape...  I think I'll find out if I've done a good job with that once I remove the guy from the base.


Talking about removing this thing from the base, there will be some small pieces of wire sticking out of the bottom of the soles of the feet from where I anchored the armature, but I figure I'll sculpt some bases to the shoes once they're accessible.

The pants are super rough and messy at this point - the goal for these is to build up the creases in the pants from the ankles up, filling the holes as needed.  I'm going to move to Greenstuff for this part of the process, since I want that contrast with the Milliput to give me a better idea of where I need to add material and where I can get away with not adding so much.

I'm so excited to get anything on this looking near-finished, but I'm making sure I follow through with all of the blocking out before I move onto the refining phase(s).  The creases in the pants and the t-shirt, the laces on the shoes, the rolled-up sleeves.  All of it.  I'm very excited to get going with it.

Which is a great place to be.


In other news, I found this guy in Kid 2's room!  I love Praying Mantises; they're one of my favourite insects.  One day, I'll keep one for a month or two and me and the boys will watch it eat - thus cementing it in the top 5 favourite insects in their minds, too.


I'll have another update tomorrow with some of my board game mechanics; we playtested it again the other day and it went really well.  Kind of expedited the rules because of the circumstances we were in, but even that new idea of simplifying the winning qualifications worked!  And I hadn't created it with that in mind, so that makes me a little happier that it went so well.

For now, I'm going to doodle some and enjoy the end of a night of relative productivity.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment