Friday, September 11, 2009

Logo a go-go.

The first steps to creating a logo is to draw as many small pictures as possible.  Profound.  It's news to me, anyway - I've honestly never really given it that much thought before.  I'm learning already, folks.

Here's the first page of little ideas:


The ideas ranged from everything between prayer and food, sleep and music.

Refining the ideas like the amateur goldsmith I am, I reduced the jumble of doodles to a well seasoned selection, before mixing them back up in twos and seeing what I got.  One such combination grabbed my attention in a way that if it were a person, I'd say "Hang on, mate.  Do that again."


The winning combination was of a pencil and a guitar.  After I had found them, I proceeded to work and rework the image until I had a blend that was silky smooth.  Also included above are the fringes of another design and a head with nothing but a big mouth.  That's how I roll.



The finished idea is here.  I used the negative space in the guitar to highlight the graphite in the pencil.  I elongated the eraser and the eraser holder to show the head of the guitar and I used the lines of the side of the pencil to show the strings (I know - there aren't enough).

I'm very happy with how it turned out.  I'm made happier with the knowledge that it's not going to be my best work.

Now all I have to do is create this logo in Adobe Illustrator...

Bonus game - the drawing from a previous project is in one of these pictures.  Can you find it?

And a doodle.

1 comment:

  1. Good. Yes, start with lots of drawings. Being a visual person doesn't necessarily mean that we can see everything in our heads. Sometimes we really need to see it on paper before it clicks.

    ReplyDelete